• Born : 2nd December, 1937
• Birth Place : Nandvi Dist. Raigad-Maharashtra
- Associated with Political Party 'Shiv Sena' since four decades.
- Was Mayor of Mumbai during 1976-77.
- Was also the Chairman of All India Council of Mayors for some time.
- Served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra from 1995 to 1999.
- During his Chief Ministership he started the 'Kamdhenu Policy' for women, 'Matoshri Vrudhashram Scheme' for the aged and 'Sainik Schools' for the youth.
- Is a driving force behind the foundation of the 'Kohinoor Technical Institute' which imparts technical education to youth so as to enable them to become self-employed.
- Set up a 'Kala Academy' in Mumbai and instituted 'Maharashtra Bhushan Award'.
- Has served as Speaker of 'Lok Sabha' (Parliament) from 2002 to 2004.
- As a Speaker led Indian Parliamentary Delegations to Geneva, Dhaka, China, Russia and many other countries.