• Born : 1941
- Was the Chief Economic Advisor to the Union Government of India in the 1980s, Banking Secretary between 1985 and 1989 and Finance Secretary in the Ministry of Finance.
- Was on the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India.
- Was the Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister between 1991 & 1992.
- Served as the Executive Director on the Boards of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
- Was the Member-Secretary, Planning Commission of India.
- Was the Governor, Reserve Bank of India from 2000 to 2003.
- Was nominated as a member to the Rajya Sabha in 2003.