|Rajiv Feroze Gandhi|
• Born : 20th August, 1944 • Died : 21st May, 1991
- Preferred his career as airline pilot and was reluctant to enter politics.
- Was persuaded by his mother Indira Gandhi to join politics, after the death of his younger brother Sanjay Gandhi.
- Became the Prime Minister in 1984 after the assassination of his mother Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister.
- Put the country on the Third World Communication Network through his efforts to speedup the progress of science with sophisticated computer technology.
- Took steps to bring peace to the disturbed states of Punjab, Assam and Mizoram.
- Became a centre of controversy in Defence purchase of Bofors tanks.
- Was assassinated in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu in 1991.
- Was awarded 'Bharat Ratna' posthumously in 1991. A magnificient memorial named 'Veer Bhumi' was constructed at his cremation spot.