• Born : 4th July, 1898 • Died : 15th January, 1998
• Birth Place : Sialkot, now in Punjab, Pakistan
- Was a great freedom fighter.
- Was imprisoned for 'Satyagrah' in 1932 and again from 1942 to 1944.
- Was the Trustee of Kasturba Memorial Trust and Secretary of Hindustan Mazdoor Sevak Sangh.
- Organised Indian National Trade Union Congress and later became its President.
- Held various ministerial portfolios in Central Cabinet from 1952 to 1966.
- Was the Vice Chairman of the Planning Commission.
- Worked as the interim Prime Minister in 1964 and 1966. Both times, his role, though uneventful, was critical in importance owing to the proximity of national dangers (Nehru's death had just come after a war with China in 1962 and Lal Bahadur Shastri died, after the 1965 war with Pakistan).
- Was awarded 'Bharat Ratna' in 1997.