• Born : 7th April, 1920
• Birth Place : Varanasi, West Bengal, India
- Is a Bengali-Indian musician and a sitar maestro.
- Is a disciple of Baba Allauddin Khan.
- Has written two concertos for Sitar and Orchestra.
- Has composed two record albums 'Shankar Family & Friends' and 'Festival of India'.
- Has composed for Films and Ballets in India, Canada, Europe and USA.
- Recording of 'Tana Mana' (1987) brought his music into the 'New Age' with its unique method of combining traditional instruments with electronics.
- Is an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters and is a member of the United Nations International Rostrum of Composers.
- Has receieved 14 Honorary Doctorates, the Padma Vibhushan (1981), Padma Bhushan (1967), the Magsaysay Award, Two Grammy Awards, Fukuoka Grand Prize from Japan, the Crystal Award from Devos with the title 'Global Ambassador'.
- Received Bharat Ratna in 1999.