• Born : 13th October, 1911 • Died : 10th December, 2001
- Born and brought up as Kumudlal Kanjilal Ganguli in Bhagalpur, Bihar.
- Started his career in Bombay albeit accidentally, with the Bombay Talkies production 'Jeevan Naiya' in 1936.
- Was working as a laboratory assistant in Bombay Talkies. The Director Himanshu Roy called him to take the role and thus began a six decade long acting career of Ashok Kumar.
- Was a successful actor of pre-independence era where he had to sing his own songs. Achhut Kanya (1936), Izzat (1937), Savitri (1937), Nirmala (1938), Kangan (1939), Bandhan (1940), Jhoola (1941) etc. were his hit films of those days.
- Parineeta (1953), Ek Hi Rasta (1956), Chalti Ka Naam Gadi (1958), Howrah Bridge (1958), Bandini (1963), Mamta (1966), Jewel Thief (1967), Aashirwad (1968), Victoria No. 203 (1972), Khubsoorat (1980) and Shaukeen (1981) were some of his hit films of modern days.
- Was reverently called 'Dadamoni' in film world. Won Two Filmfare Awards.
- Received Padma Shri in 1962.
- Was awarded Dada Saheb Phalke Award in 1989.