|Junius Richard Jayewardene|
• Born : 1906 • Died : 1996
- Active in Sri Lankan Politics since 1940s.
- Was a founding member of the United National Party.
- Supported a new Presidential Constitution (1978).
- Emphasized during his tenure, free market, pro-western policies and large-scale development.
- Won elections in 1977 and 1982.
- Was unable to prevent civil war between Tamils and Sinhalese and was forced to impose 'Emergency' in 1983.
- Unrest continued through the remainder of his presidency, despite Indian intervention (1987) by the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.