|Sir Edmund Percival Hillary|
• Born : 20th July, 1919 • Died : 11th January, 2008
• Birth Place : Taukau (South of Auckland)
- Is a New Zealand mountainer and explorer and is famous for the first successful ascent of Mount Everest Summit on 29th May, 1953 with Sherpa Tenzind Norgay.
- Is the only living New Zealander to appear on the currency note.
- Climbed 10 other peaks of Himalayas on further visits from 1956 to 1965.
- Reached 'South Pole' as part of the British Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition, on January 4, 1958.
- Was created a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) on July 16, 1953 and was created a member of the Order of New Zealand (ONZ) in 1987.
- Was also created a Knight of the Order of the Garter (KG) on April 23, 1995.
- Founded 'Himalayan Trust' to help the Sherpa people of Nepal.
- Is the Honorary President of the 'American Himalayan Foundation'.
- Was New Zealand's High Commissioner in India in 1980s.
- Received Padma Vibhushan in 2008 (Posthumous).