|Ustad Zakir Hussain|
• Born : 9th March, 1951
• Birth Place : Mumbai, India
- Son of Tabla Maestro Ustad Allarakha.
- Has worked with many Western and Indian artists alike and has produced many works for fusion e.g. with John McLaughlin in 'Shakti'.
- Has tried his hands at composing music for movies like 'In Custody' and 'Heat and Dust' by Ismail Merchant and 'Little Buddha' by Bernardo Bertolucci.
- Received the 1999 National Heritage Fellowship in U.S., an award given to outstanding artist in traditional arts.
- Is a founding member of Bill Laswell's 'World Music Supergroup' Tabla Beat Science.
- Making Music (1987), The One and Only (1992), Music of the Deserts (1993), Magical Moments of Rhythm (1997), And the Rhythm Experience (1998) etc. are some of his masterpiece works.
- Awarded Padma Shri (1988) and Padma Bhushan (2002) by Government of India.
- Received Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1991.
- Awarded 'Grammy' for Best World Music Album (1992) for 'Planet Drum' which was co-created and produced by him and Mickey Hart.