• Born : 11th December, 1922
• Birth Place : Peshawar, Pakistan
- Born and brought up as Yusuf Khan.
- His first film was Jwar Bhatta (1944).
- Was known as 'Tragedy King' because of the tragic roles performed successfully in Andaz (1949), Deedar (1951) and Devdas (1955).
- His performance in 'Mughal-e-Azam' (1960) was a big hit.
- Ram aur Shyam, Ganga Jamuna, Shakti, Vidhata are some of his best acted films.
- Has married Beauty Queen Saira Banu in 1966, when he was aged 44 and she aged 22.
- Has received Eight Filmfare Awards for the Best Actor.
- Received Dada Saheb Phalke Award in 1995 and Nishan-e-Imtiaz, the highest civilian award conferred by the Government of Pakistan, in 1998.