• Born : 30th March, 1908 • Died : 9th March, 1994
• Birth Place : Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Was the grand-niece of the Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
- Was born and brought up as Devika Rani Chaudhari.
- Studied drama at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and the Royal Academy of Music in London, UK. Married to Indian producer and actor Himanshu Roy in 1929.
- Both founded Bombay Talkies whose films challenged the caste system.
- Achhut Kanya (1936) was her notable film. Widowed in 1940, she married Russian painter Svetoslav Roerich in 1945.
- Received Padma Shri in 1958 and Dada Saheb Phalka Award in 1970.