|Rajaram Vankudre Shantaram|
• Born : 18th November, 1901 • Died : 30th October, 1990
• Birth Place : Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
- Joined Maharashtra Film Company of Baburao Painter whom Shantaram considered his Guru.
- Founded his own concern called Prabhat Film Company in 1929 in Kolhapur.
- Established his studio in Pune where he made India's first multicoloured film 'Sairandhri' which was printed and processed in Germany.
- Made movies which normally carried a social message and were noted for their visual beauty and powerful narrative.
- Set up his own studio under the name Rajkamal Kala Mandir Studio in Mumbai in 1941.
- His masterpiece 'Do Ankhen Barah Haath' won him the President's Gold Medal in 1957. The same film got Silver Bear at Berlin Film Festival and the Samuel Goldwyn Award for best Foreign Film (1958).
- Was awarded Dada Saheb Phalke in 1986 and Padma Vibhushan in 1992 (posthumous).