• Born : 28th August, 1905 • Died : 3rd December, 1979
• Birth Place : Prayag, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Joined the Indian Army as a soldier at the age of 16.
- Was introduced to Hockey by his Subedar Major Tiwari.
- Played in VIIIth (Amsterdem, 1928) IXth (Los Angeles, 1932) and Xth (Berlin, 1936) Olympics in Hockey tournaments.
- India won gold medal in all the three Hockey tournaments in Olympics due to magnificent play of Dhyan Chand.
- In Olympics of 1936 at Berlin, Dhyan Chand was the Captain. He exhibited such a wizardry with his hockey stick that people doubted that some magnet was hidden in his stick to attract the ball and hence the stick was changed, but he continued to play as before. A Vienna Sports Club has a statue of Dhyan Chand depicting him with four arms holding four hockey sticks. Was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1956.
- In 2002, the Union Sports Ministry of India introduced a Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports in the name of Dhyan Chand.